Angela: OMG this is the most amazing chocolate cake ever and it’s wheat-free, gluten-free and high in protein. Thank you Caroline Howe for another great recipe!
- 2/3 cup white or golden quinoa
- 1 1/3 cups (325ml) water
- 1/3 cup coconut water or milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp pur vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup coconut oil (or any oil / butter substitute, if you use a butter substitute then put in 3/4 cup but if you are using oil then slightly less)
- 1/2 or so cups of Stevia (taste it as you go, especially after you put the cacao in)
- 3/4 – 1 cup unsweetened organic cacao powder or 3/4 cacao and 1/2 cup 180 chocolate (again, if you are using pure cacao then use a little less but if its cocoa powder then you might use more. The cacao is preferred)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt substitute (you can’t really get around using a little salt in baking, it really does bring out better flavours)
Bring the quinoa and water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 min. Turn off the heat and leave covered for another 10 min. Fluff with a fork and let it cool down. Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. Get a pan ready for the cake 8-inch round tin or even a square tin – whatever is closest.
Then combine the coconut water (milk), eggs, vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add the quinoa, the coconut oil and continue to blend it all up. Whisk the other dry ingredients together then add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine.
Pour into your cake tin and back for about 35 min. I checked the cake at 25 min and then added another 10min if needed. Keep an eye on it!
Then eat whatever you want or just on its own :)