Penny: ANZAC Biscuits are something that I really love, and identify with as an Australian; each year commemorating those who have fallen in defence of our beloved country. However, I thought I’d change things up this year for something a little different…
I decided to:
- Use 180 Nutrition Vegan Protein Superfood instead of almond meal/other flours,
- Keep the desiccated coconut, because it’s DELISH,
- Swap rolled oats out for flaked almonds to make the biccies gluten-free.
- HOWEVER I went back to using butter and golden syrup for a more traditional flavour. You can of course use coconut oil instead of butter for vegan/dairy-free. And swap golden syrup for Maple or Honey if you prefer.
- I also added a little Maca which only adds to the delish caramel flavour.
- 1/2 Cup 180 Nutrition Vegan Superfood
- 1/2 Cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 Cup flaked almonds (or rolled oats if Gluten free not required)
- 1 Tbsp 180 Nutrition Organic Peruvian Maca
- 90g butter (or coconut oil), melted
- 1 Tbsp golden syrup (use honey or maple syrup for a sweetener that’s not based on cane sugar)
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180deg C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix dry ingredients (except baking powder) together in a bowl until well combined.
- Mix melted butter and syrup together in a separate, smaller bowl.
- In another small bowl or glass, mix 1.5 Tbsp boiling water with the baking powder to combine.
- Add all wet ingredients (butter/syrup and baking powder/water) to dry and bring together with a spoon, and ultimately your hands!
- Form the mixture into balls then flatten out on a lined baking tray, imprinting the top of each with a fork.
- Bake for 10 mins for softer biscuits, or 15 mins for crispy biscuits.
- Removing and allow to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container in the pantry for a few days before moving to the fridge if not finished!