Lynda: Eggplant is part of the nightshade family of vegetables. It is one of my favourite vegetables because it is so versatile. You can bake, sauté or even make healthy chips from them. They are rich in antioxidants and compounds that support brain health. This is my version of Baba Ghanoush. One with herbs and spices that support digestive function and maybe even counteract excess wind if that’s a problem for you.
- 1 large eggplant
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Using a fork, make pricks over all sides of the eggplant.
- Place eggplant onto a tray lined with baking paper and bake in oven for 20 minutes. Turn eggplant over and bake a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Scoop eggplant flesh from the centre and into a blender or food processor. I use the Biochef Nutriboost Bullet Blender.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until you reach your desired consistency. A chunky dip is absolutely fine as is smooth and creamy.
- Enjoy this delicious blend as a side dish or dip.
- Goes well with crispy crackling pork belly or with vegetable sticks (cut capsicum, carrot, celery) or gluten-free savoury protein crackers.
Big thanks to Naturopath Lynda Griparic for the recipe.
Start adding the 180 Superfood goodness into your diet today