Angela: A fun playful recipe from our friends at GrowEatRun. Crap free. Full of food fats and protein. Have a treat without the guilt! Over to Victoria with the recipe…
Victoria: We may have watched The LEGO Movie on the weekend – and now in our heads all we can hear is “Everything is Awesome”, which particularly relates to this Black Forest and Coconut Ice Cream Sandwich! If you’ve seen this movie, think of the recipe coming from Cloud Cuckoo Land, a land up in the clouds where there are no rules, no limits, no bushy mustaches, no bedtimes, and no consistency. Reached by traveling up a rainbow, and home to the sweet and plucky Princess Unikitty, Cloud Cuckoo Land is built from every kind of piece using every type of LEGO imagination. I’d like to think that I was channelling Princess Unikitty when I put this recipe together! Anyway – enjoy!
Serves 2 – 4 depending on how hungry and generous you are feeling!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2 heaped tsps of cacao
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 150ml coconut cream (Ayam is the best brand I’ve found)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or seeds of a vanilla pod
- 1/3 banana mashed
- 80g frozen cherries
- 80g frozen raspberries
- 1 scoop or 180nutrition Superfood or 2 heaped tbs LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond) – nowhere near as tasty but it’s a pretty good substitute.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C and line a 20x20cm tray with baking paper
- In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs and 1 cup water vigorously
- Add 1/2 cup coconut flour, cacao and mix to a good batter (may need to add 1/4-1/2 cup more water depending on the coconut flour)
- Place in a 20×20 tray and cook at 180deg C for 20-25mins
- When you take this out of the oven it’s going to sink – don’t fret! It is supposed to be dense, it holds the sandwich together!
- Line a loaf tin (20/10cm) with cling wrap
- Whisk the coconut cream with the mashed banana, vanilla and 180nutrition
- Fold in the berries taking care not to break them up too much
- Pour into the tray and place in freezer for 30-45mins or until just solid
Putting it together
- Cut base in half so it is the same size as the filling, 20×10(ish)
- Lay the ice cream in the middle and top with the second half of the cake, you may need to trim the cake/ice cream a little if it’s a bit out and you’re a perfectionist!
- EAT IT LIKE A SANDWICH!!! I started eating this with a spoon and it wasn’t nearly as satisfying as when I picked it up with both hands and took a bite
Thank you Victoria from GrowEatRun for the recipe. Her and her husband are also the owners of Hilltop CrossFit in Mount Barker. She coaches the Kids and Teens programs, loves creating recipes with good nutritious food and if she’s not in the box you’ll probably find her either in the garden, the kitchen or paddle boarding.