Lynda: I loved Golden Rough chocolates as a teen. They are a man-made, simple choccy made by Nestle which is round in shape and has a no-frills gold wrapping and inoffensive red writing on it. I loved everything about them, the crunchy texture, the smooth, sweet and delicious, melt in your mouth chocolate and well probably the pure fact that it was a dirt cheap (and nasty) sweet treat that I could afford.
With this fond memory I have re-created my childhood fave to be one that is sugar-free, packs a crunch, a healthy punch and even delivers quality antioxidants, protein and gut food in the form of green banana. Green banana is like fertiliser for your good flora, a form of “resistant starch”. Resistant starch is digested many hours later and only by the good bacteria. It has many health benefits, like weight management, diabetes control, and cholesterol lowering. It is an easy addition to a smoothie or even raw treats because it is relatively tasteless and the texture is similar to a fine flour.
So there you have it, many reasons to give this one a try either as a sweet, healthy treat when entertaining or when you need a satisfying quick fix….of the nutritious kind. For more info on how to improve gut health read this article.
- 3 tbsp Cacao (I use organic cacao by 180nutrition)
- 300g creamed coconut (roughly 8 heaped tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 5 tbsp quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp organic green banana flour (Optional. You can also use coconut flour)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (I use organic vanilla powder by 180nutrition)
- Place all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add creamed coconut.
- Blend well with a spoon.
- Pour into a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Defrost 5-10 minutes before eating.
- Break roughly into pieces and enjoy.
- Stores in airtight container in the freezer for several weeks.
- Serves around 8-10. This really depends on how much restraint you have 🙂