By Stuart Cooke
Stu: Our good friends Emma and Rob run Primal-Life over the ditch in NZ (who by the way, now distribute 180 :). They live by the mantra ‘Eat natural, unprocessed food. Do what you love. And your body will take care of itself’. Em’s a whiz in the kitchen and has shared this awesome recipe that will go down well with the whole family.
Over to Emma…
Emma: We have four children, they have always loved raisin bread so when we undertook a primal diet there were some very disappointed children in the household when they realised raisin bread was no longer on the menu. The High Protein Apple and Date Loaf is a result of trying to find something the children would eat and therefore something to put in lunchboxes!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or just use almond flour, buckwheat helps to bind the loaf better = easier to cut)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Stevia (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dates
- 1 peeled and finely diced apple
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 60g melted butter or coconut oil
- 5 eggs
Supercharge your loaf by replacing ½ cup buckwheat or almond flour with ½ cup 180 Natural Protein Superfood (Coconut)
- Put the dry ingredients, dates and chopped apple in a bowl and mix.
- In another bowl beat eggs until light and fluffy, fold in apple sauce and butter.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and fold until just mixed.
- Spoon into 14 x 23cm lined loaf tin and bake 160c for 40-45 mins, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Serve buttered or with a generous helping of almond butter. Also very nice with some avocado and tomato.
You can view more of Emma’s recipes here.
You can also visit Primal-Life’s website here.