Stu: People often ask me what I throw into my morning smoothie and why I choose the ingredients I do. My answer is simple, breakfast needs to be quick, hassle-free and more importantly has to meet these 3 objectives:
- Keep me full from 7am until lunchtime
- Nourish my gut while being easy on the digestive system
- Taste so delicious that I want it every single day
Ingredients (makes 1 BIG serve)
- 1/2 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 serve Organic Plant Protein
- 1 serve Collagen Powder
- 1/2 tsp L-Glutamine Powder
- 1 large banana (not too ripe)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp slippery elm powder
- 1/2 cup of water
- Combine all the ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Depending on the amount of water you use, you’ll either get a smoothie or a mousse. I like mine to be a little thicker and usually eat it with a spoon.
Why These Ingredients?
The key to a filling and nourishing meal is to include protein, fat and fibre and reduce the sugar content, this smoothie ticks all of those boxes. Think about these rules next time you are considering buying smoothie when out and about as many of them are simply loaded with sugar.
- Coconut milk (full fat) – Healthy fats
- Organic Plant Protein – Easily digestible & very tasty
- Collagen Powder – Great for joints, bones and gut
- L-Glutamine Powder – Assists the healing of the gut
- Banana – Tasty & source of fibre (if not too ripe)
- Avocado – Healthy fats + makes the smoothie creamy
- Raspberries – Good source of antioxidants
- Turmeric – Helps to reduce inflammation
- Cinnamon – Regulates blood sugar levels
- Slippery Elm Powder – Soothes the gut