Alison: Over the winter months, a hot drink warms the body from the inside, and provides vital nourishment and comfort from the cold. I love hot chocolate, but what I don’t like is all the refined sugar and artificial ingredients that comes with it. I created this recipe on a day when I was craving hot chocolate, but I also wanted to give my body a healthy dose of protein and nutrients.
I used a scoop of 180 Nutrition Protein Superfood which is my go-to when I need some good quality nourishment and I don’t have a lot of time. There are a number of protein supplements available, but I would always choose one that contains natural ingredients such as 180 Nutrition.
- 1 scoop protein (I use 180 Nutrition Protein Superfood – chocolate flavour)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon 180 maca powder
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- If you are using any protein flavour that isn’t chocolate (such as coconut or vanilla) you can add a teaspoon of raw cacao powder to make it chocolatey.
- Heat all the ingredients in a deep pan over low heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a slow simmer and remove from the heat. If you have a frother I would recommend using this to turn it into an extra creamy and frothy hot chocolate drink.