We’ve all heard the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but is it really?
We believe that the first thing you eat or drink can supercharge or sabotage your day. Your choice of breakfast releases chemicals and hormones within your body that make you feel energetic or flat, keeping you feeling full or scrambling for that 11am snack.
Think about a common breakfast, a sugary coffee drink and toast or fruit muesli. While coffee can have some health benefits the caffeine can increase your stress hormones (cortisol) and the processed carbs in the toast or muesli will send your blood sugars rising. This combination – which many of us default to each day – can increase inflammation and elevate stress hormones leaving you feeling frazzled. The knock-on effect of this is to reach for whatever is quick and easy to make you feel energised (11am banana bread anyone).
Many of us know that a processed and carb-heavy breakfast isn’t the best start to the day but are simply short on time or struggle with alternative healthy options.
At 180 Nutrition we believe that breakfast should:
- Consist of whole foods
- Include LOTS of nutrients
- Offer slow-burning energy
- Keep you feeling fuller for longer
- Be quick, easy and delicious
In order to keep you nourished, satiated and energised your breakfast would ideally contain this combination:
- Protein: It’s rightly cited as providing the ‘building blocks of life’ and is essential to build and repair muscles, tissues and bones and to make hormones and enzymes. It’s important if you want to feel strong, energised and healthy.
- Fibre: Dietary fibre is important for our digestive health and regular bowel movements. It is largely lacking in modern day diets and is an important nutrient to help you feel fuller for longer.
- Fat: After decades of conjecture the confusion with fat is officially over. Healthy fats can help regulate your weight, nourish the body while keeping you full.
If you would like to supercharge not sabotage your day we’ve taken the hard work out of breakfast for you …
Introducing Our Superfood Protein Blend
Our Superfood Protein uses a combination of whey or pea protein blended with whole food ingredients including nuts and seeds to provide the balance of protein, fat and gut-friendly fibre. It keeps you full and satisfied until lunchtime, while offering slow-burning energy so no need for the 11am treat. It’s super-simple and can can be used in a variety of ways to suit you:
- Blend It: Simply mix 1 serve of Superfood Protein with your choice of milk or water, add your favourite fruit or veggies and blend for 30 seconds to make a delicious smoothie.
- Mix it: With your favourite breakfast bowl to add more protein, healthy fats and filling fibre. It’s a great addition to muesli, oats or simply yogurt and fruit.
- Bake it: Use it to replace flour when baking to create amazing snacks, we’ve got hundreds of recipes online to show you how.