There are many reasons why we feel stuck with being overweight or feel unable to lose body fat, especially as we age. Perhaps you’ve been overweight for so many years, you simply accept that it’s a natural part of ageing and think they you’ll never change…
We often hear people say they’ve tried ‘everything’ and are doomed to be overweight, but we truly feel that with a deeper understanding of our daily choices concerning food and exercise, anything is possible. It just takes a different approach and a ‘relearning’ of habits that can be hard to break.
Simple pointers to follow on your weight loss journey
An article in the Sun Times recently said: “Don’t give up if you feel that you are unable to lose weight, there are just more things for you to learn. They are not difficult, you just need to be aware of them. In the meantime, even though we don’t know your unique genetic type, your history or your current circumstances there important techniques to consider.
Here are a few general dietary tips that appear to work well for most:
- Eat whole foods. Real foods, just as nature intended. Processed and packaged foods can often contain hidden or inflammatory ingredients including sugar disguised in other forms and many more nasties that can impact our hormones, blood sugar and metabolism.
- Don’t drink your calories. Make a decision to reduce the amount of sugar in your diet, and consider completely eliminating sugary drinks as excess sugar consumption may be the primary driver of excess body fat in the belly.
- Get plenty of natural fibre. There is some evidence that soluble dietary fibre can lead to reduced amounts of belly fat. Fibre assists digestion and helps to balance our gut bacteria which is pivotal for healthy weight management. Plant foods like vegetables and fruit offer good sources of fibre.
- Reduce high GI carbs that spike blood sugar. Carb restriction is a very effective way to lose fat. When our blood sugars are raised the body can’t burn fat. With this in mind it’s a great strategy to reduce high GI carbs like bread, pasta and white rice etc. that will elevate blood sugar. Incorporate healthy fats like nuts, seeds, avocados and olive oil in place of simple carbohydrates.
- Include protein in every meal. Eating protein with each meal can boost your metabolism and reduce hunger levels. It’s a very effective way to lose weight. Several studies suggest that protein is particularly effective against belly fat accumulation.
- Enjoy Omega 3’s oils every day. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil have various potential health benefits, one of which is aiding weight loss. Studies have shown the effects of fish oil to be beneficial on metabolism, hunger and appetite.
Shameless plug aside, if you are short on time and want to: 1) Eat whole foods, 2) increase your protein & fibre and 3) replace high GI carbohydrates with healthy fats our Superfood Protein Blend could be an ideal place to start. Enjoy a delicious power-packed meal in a glass in under 2 minutes.
No matter your age, if you were to start applying the simple points mentioned above, along with some basic daily movement you should move towards your natural body weight and see improvements in your overall health.
Learn more about weight loss below: