Angela: I love orange and polenta cake, especially this clean eating version as it’s high in protein, crap free and low in sugar. This makes for a fantastic recipe when you have guests and friends over and a great excuse to use your best cutlery and china!
The recipe is courtesy of fitness model Angeline Norton. She is one of our ambassadors who is always inspiring me with her baking. Enjoy…
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 100g granulated stevia/ Norbu sweetener
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 scoops coconut 180 protein powder
- 100g coarse polenta
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- crème fraîche or plain yoghurt, to serve
For the syrup
- 150ml orange juice, (from about 1 large orange)
- 50g granulated stevia
- Preheat the oven to 160 and grease a 20cm springform tin, line the bottom and sides with baking paper and grease again.
- Beat the butter and natural sweetener in a large bowl until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, then stir in the vanilla essence.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground almonds, 180 powder, polenta, orange zest and baking powder, then stir this into the cake mix. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40–50 minutes, until the surface is light brown and the cake is coming away slightly from the sides of the tin.
- Remove the tin from the oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. This cake will be quite moist and a little fragile, so handle carefully as you remove it.
- To make the syrup, put all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over a low–medium heat for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prick the cake all over with a skewer, then brush generously with the syrup. Serve in slices with a dollop of yoghurt or on it’s own.
You can find more awesome recipes here.
Other Posts By Angeline:
- Wonder what it takes to become a sports fitness model?
- Food diaries from a sports model
- Discover How a Personal Trainer/Sports Model Handles Pregnancy & Clean Eating