Ange: These look like such a treat… they’re perfect as a protein-rich breakfast or snack that’s gluten-free, vegan friendly and actually healthy. They turned out so well, I ended up making a batch and freezing them. All I have to do is thaw them if I’d like to have them for breakfast the next day 🙂
- 1 2/3 cup self-rising gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 scoop 180 Nutrition Superfood Protein (Vegan Coconut)
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 3/4 cup almond milk or your choice of milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Water as required*
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk in Superfood Protein. Mix until well blended.
- In a blender or food processor, blend tofu, almond milk and lemon juice until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients into dry. Whisk in melted coconut oil. Mix well until the batter is smooth.
- When the waffle iron is ready, pour 1/2 cup of batter per waffle and spread evenly across. Cook 3 minutes or until desired crispness.
Makes 6 Waffles.
- *As the batter sits, it gets thicker. Add a tablespoon of water to the batter when required to lighten the batter.
Notes + Inspiration
- Skip the maple syrup. Top waffles with berries and yogurt for a refreshing and guilt-free treat.
- Don’t have silken tofu? Replace the liquid portion (tofu, almond milk, lemon juice) with a mixture of 1 1/2 cup yogurt with 1/2 cup milk. Or simply 2 cups Buttermilk.
- Don’t have Buttermilk? Make your own! Mix 1 3/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Let stand 5 minutes to curdle before use.